Pascoe Vale Elementary School / Kosloff Architecture
Text description provided by the architects. Pascoe Vale Elementary School is home to a fine example of Neoclassical school design, a two-story building designed by the Department of Public Works Chief Architect (1922-1929), E. Evan Smith. This building is listed by the Heritage Council Victoria as important. Our extension, which houses staff and administration, perpetuates the language of masonry and the fine brick articulation of the existing building. Internal modifications to the existing building support innovation in teaching practice, a layout for 21st century learning environments, with a series of small group and auxiliary teaching spaces.
The public domain has been extended to the building in a gesture that is generous, but also recognizes the importance of fostering relationships between the parents of the school as well as the community at large. The mandate was to enlarge the existing two-storey heritage building to create a new clearly identifiable entrance to the school, to house a new reception area and a waiting room. This was to allow display of student work and also ensure that access to staff areas and the school beyond could be controlled. New staff areas to facilitate collaboration and support professional development, as well as provide accessible access to all areas of existing and new construction, and the creation of 21st century learning spaces throughout the existing building.
The existing red brick building from 1929 is a landmark in the region and is also socially significant for its strong associations with the local community as a place of public education for local families for over a century. . The school community was very keen that the new extension not detract from the existing heritage building and that it provide a high quality addition to the existing street frontage. An in-depth analysis of the existing heritage building was undertaken and used to develop the formal language of the extension, largely done in matching red brick with contemporary articulation, with the entry and connection between the new and the old in brick. cream.
This serves not only to highlight the transition (in accordance with the principles of the Burra Charter), but also the new entrance, which is highlighted by a generous public square with seating, now a gathering space for the school community before and after school. The new extension deliberately maximizes light from the north and minimizes energy loss, thanks to careful placement and planning that limits the glazing of the west facade, locates amenities and support areas to the south, with new openings from windows concentrated to the north. Other passive design initiatives include increased levels of insulation for exterior walls and roofs, the application of high performance double glazing and the integration of shading on the north facade.